Advanced Phylogenetics Workshop
ADVANCED PHYLOGENETIC WORKSHOPS IN 2017
Workshops focussing on training researchers and students in phylogenetic theory and the application of phylogenetic methods in taxonomy, systematics and evolutionary studies have been presented biannually at FABI since 2004. Two advanced phylogenetic workshops are planned for this year. A major objective for the workshops is to provide hands on experience in the use of databases available on the world-wide-web and the different software, both commercial and freeware, currently available for evolutionary biologists. The workshops cater for researchers that have a basic to advanced background in the field.
- Advanced Phylogenetics Workshop 1: 29 May to 2 June 2017
- Advanced Phylogenetics Workshop 2: 6 to 10 November 2017
Click here for the Registration form
The following is a broad outline of the topics that will be treated during the workshop:
- File formats
- Sequence alignments
- Dealing with gaps
- Everything about trees (phylogenetic)
- Testing for partition homogeneity
- Evolutionary models
- Maximum likelihood
- Bayesian phylogenetic inferences
- Other interesting topics (e.g. molecular dating and hypothesis testing)
Experience will be gained in using the following software*:
- RAXML and PHYML
*Other software that are of value to the workshop will be demonstrated if time permits.
Prerequisite for attending the workshop:
- Ability to operate in the DOS command line environment
- Basic knowledge in phylogenetic analyses. Beginners workshops are available for researchers with no or limited background in phylogenetics. Please follow this link to get more information about introductory workshops.
Payment and registration:
Closing date for registration of attendees outside of FABI: 15 April 2017
Closing date for payment: 30 April 2017**
Closing date for registration of attendees outside of FABI: 1 October 2017
Closing date for payment: 15 October 2017**
**If no payment is received by the specified date, the applicant will lose their reservation.
Cost of the workshop includes workshop material, light lunches each day and coffee/tea in the morning. Unfortunately, we can accommodate only 15 people per workshop.
Centre of Excellence in Tree Health Biotechnology (CTHB)
Forestry and Agricultural Biotechnology Institute (FABI)