The ARP at FABI offers a disease clinic to avocado growers for the identification of avocado diseases. A consultation fee will be charged accordingly.
How to sample?
- Take a photo of the symptoms, if possible
- Samples should be taken from 4-5 randomly selected plants in an infection site.
- Place the samples separately in a paper bag (Never use a plastic bag!!)
- Seal the bag and label with the following: Collectors name, date, sample number, locality and cultivar
Specific tissue sampling
- Collect individual leaves, place between blotting paper (paper towel) and in an envelope
- Collect a sample that spans the diseased area, including +/- 2cm of healthy tissue on either side of the lesion
- Place in a paper bag
- Collect 200g of soil from under the diseased tree at a depth of 10-15 cm, place in a paper bag
- Collect root pieces (healthy and diseased) from the soiland place in an envelope
Send the samples by fast mail or courier to the Avocado Disease Clinic @ FABI and give us a phone call to let us know to expect a parcel from you.
Prof Noëlani van den Berg
74 Lunnon street
Avocado Research Programme
University of Pretoria
012 420 3856
082 775 4983