Ms Kira Lynn
I completed my MSc Genetics (Cum laude) in 2020. My research project was under the newly formed RGE-FABI Tree Health Programme (RGE-FABI THP). My project focused on determining what ambrosia beetles and fungal mutualists were infesting non-native Acacia crassicarpa plantations in Indonesia. To investigate this fungal-ambrosia infestation, I was fortunate enough to travel to Indonesia several times during the course of my research and see the infestation first hand and learn a great deal about the forestry industry. Through this research we identified two Euwallacea ambrosia beetles as the predominate beetles infesting these plantations, as well as seven novel Fusarium mutualists of these ambrosia beetles.
- Lynn, K.M.T., Wingfield, M.J., Hammerbacher, A., Barnes, I. Real-time PCR high-resolution melting curve analysis to detect Ceratocystis species in the Latin American clade. South African Society of Plant Pathologists’ (SASPP) 53rd Congress SASPP (Aug 2022). (Oral)
- Runner up for best student presentation.
- Lynn, K.M.T., Wingfield, M.J., Duran, A., de Beer, W., Barnes, I. Novel Fusarium mutualists discovered in two Euwallacea ambrosia beetle species infesting Acacia crassicarpa in Indonesia. 3rd IUFRO Acacia Webinar 2021. (Oral)
- Lynn KMT, Wingfield MJ, Durán A, Oliveira LSS, de Beer W, Barnes I. Discovery of seven novel Fusarium species associated with two ambrosia beetle species in Indonesia and their global relevance as tree pests. National Symposium on Biological Invasions (5th - 7th May 2021) Online.
- Lynn KMT, Wingfield MJ, Durán A, Oliveira LSS, de Beer W, Barnes I. Novel Fusarium mutualists of two Euwallacea species infesting Acacia crassicarpa in Indonesia.: South African Society of Plant Pathologists’ (SASPP) 52nd Congress SASPP (20th January 2021). Online.
- Lynn KMT, Wingfield MJ, Durán A, Oliveira LSS, de Beer W, Barnes I. Seven novel Fusarium associated with ambrosia beetles on Acacia crassicarpa in Indonesia.: Mycological Society of America (MSA) MSA Graphical poster (22nd July 2020). Online.
- FAMELab speed presentations at the 2020 regional symposium.
- RGE-FABI Tree health Symposium 2019
- Lynn, K.M.T., Wingfield, M.J., Duran, A., de Beer, W., Barnes, I. A novel haplotype of the tea shot hole borer (Euwallacea fornicatus) and its novel Fusarium symbiont infesting Acacia crassicarpa in Indonesia. 51st Congress of the South Africa society of plant pathology (SASPP) 2019
- Runner up for best student presentation.
- RGE-FABI Tree health Symposium 2018
FABI hosted the 52nd Congress of the Southern African Society for Plant Pathologists (SASSP) at the Future Africa campus from 1-3 August.
Four FABI researchers went on a field trip to visit two sites in KZN to collect material for various research projects.
FABI researchers make an early start to present at the 3rd IUFRO Acacia webinar.
FABI team members visited various Sappi holdings in KwaZulu-Natal during the week of 22 February.
On 20 January, FABI had the pleasure of hosting a virtual congress of the South African Society of Plant Pathologists’ (SASPP).
The RGE-FABI Tree Health Programme (THP) hosted its annual symposium on 3 December.
We are excited to connect with you on 20 January for our Southern African Society for Plant Pathology(SASPP) hybrid meeting at Future Africa at the University of Pretoria.
Some of the most impressive, and in fact some of the earliest, clonal eucalypt plantations can be found on the KwaZulu-Natal Coast of South Africa.
Congratulations to 20 graduates affiliated with FABI whose degrees were conferred at the University of Pretoria’s virtual Spring Graduation Ceremony on 29 September.
On 2 September, several FABIans that form part of the bark beetle mycobiome research network took part in their 9th virtual meeting.
The RGE-FABI Tree Health Programme team met on the Zoom virtual platform on 18 August.
FABI students and their co-authors contributed 37 posters/graphical abstracts of the 157 of these presentations at the MSA conference.
Members of the Tree Protection Co-operative Programme (TPCP) Diagnostic Clinic team travelled to Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal in March for the annual Diagnostic Clinic training trip.
Congratulations to Kira Lynn for obtaining her Masters degree cum laude.
FABI celebrated the first publications in an ISI-rated scientific journal of four FABI postgraduate students in the TPCP and CTHB groups at a gathering on 27 February. Publications: Katumanyane A. Messal M. van Wyk S. Lynn K.
The research team in FABI that works with bark and ambrosia beetles, are currently part of an international collaborative project with American peers, funded jointly by die National Research Foundation (NRF) and National Science Foundation (NSF).
Forty eight students from the Tree Protection Co-operative Programme (TPCP) in FABI braved cool, wet and muddy conditions on the morning of 24 January to replant 1,500 seedlings into potting bags.
The 2019 meeting of the Southern African Society for Plant Pathology (SASPP) took place on the West Coast, hosted by Stellenbosch University.
On Saturday 10 November, Dr Fahimeh Jami (Postdoctoral Fellow), Kira Lynn (M.Sc. student) and Nam Pham (Ph.D. student), returned to South Africa after spending almost two months in Sumatra.
During a recent visit to Indonesia, a group of staff members and students of FABI were presented with a painting as a gift to FABI from Mr Rob Pallet, a previous member of the Board of the Tree Protection Co-operative Programme (TPCP) and now on the staff of the APRIL Forestry Group.
For the third year running, PhD student Quentin Guignard walked away with the Best Dressed Male award at the 2018 annual meeting of the Society for the Presentation of Outrageous Findings (SPOOF).
FABI had the pleasure of hosting a visit on 27 May by Mr Sukanto Tanoto, the Chairman of the Royal Golden Eagle (RGE) Group.
My Journal Articles
|Lynn KMT, Wingfield MJ, Durán A, Oliveira LSS, de Beer ZW, Barnes I. (2021) Novel Fusarium mutualists of two Euwallacea species infesting Acacia crassicarpa in Indonesia. Mycologia 113(3):536-558.
|Lynn KMT, Wingfield MJ, Durán A, Marincowitz S, Oliveira LSS , De Beer Z, Barnes I. (2020) Euwallacea perbrevis (Coleoptera: Curculionidae: Scolytinae), a confirmed pest on Acacia crassicarpa in Riau, Indonesia, and a new fungal symbiont; Fusarium rekanum sp. nov.. Antonie van Leeuwenhoek 113(6):803-823.